Psalm 73: 27-28


My flesh and my heart may fail,
but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. …
But for me it is good to be near God;
I have made the Lord GOD my refuge,
that I may tell of all your works.

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

A Mountain View

This Past weekend, we had the opportunity to go up to the mountains... what a blessing it was. To get away from life at home, and go somewhere new and unexplored by us before is exciting. We stayed in a quaint Yellow Cottage, old wood stove, hardwoods throughout, inviting and warm. The tv only had 2 stations on it, so the kids watched parts of 2 different movies as we rotated with eating since there wasn't enough chairs for all of us to eat together. Other than that... no tv was on, no phones ringing off the hook, no laundry to do, or housework to finish... it was just good ole time spent with the family. We played games together... roasted marsh mellows over the fire pit outside, played football, talked, laughed, cried... you name it , we did it!


The view we had from the mountain was amazing... berries I have never seen before. I was enamored with this berry stalk... I don't know if it is usually a bush in the summer or what... I still have to look it up and research what kind of plant this is.


The scenery is just amazing. Beautiful old buildings that are falling apart and leaning because of the many years it has withstood strong winds, rains and snow. I so badly wanted to take all the kids to this small building and take pictures, but it was surrounded with barbed wire... and I am not one to take on barbed wire!


Our family bonded this weekend in a way that we haven't done before. Typically when we go away, we are going away with family or to see family. This time it was our family, something that we are going to do more often. I never thought that I would be saying this, because I value my family (sisters, brothers, parents, nieces and nephews), but there is nothing like going away with your family alone. Scott and I have not had the opportunity to have a family vacation since we have been married, and the only reason was because some wonderful people whom we love very much (you know who you are) gave us the opportunity. To sit back and watch my children running around with my husband is precious. To watch Eli and Scott work together, play together, and hold onto each other is a beautiful sight. To gaze at my husband while he is so gentle with our daughter... leaning back and laughing together. Studying Zach's relationship with daddy is incredibly exciting... he follows Scott around like a shadow... never leaving his side. These moments are to be cherished forever... moments that I don't ever want to forget or let slip away. To have no distractions and family fun is beautiful. Life is beautiful.


Checkin' the place out!

Hiking up some trails that weren't too far from the Cabin.

My Sweet Pea... Lilly.
I know I am partial... but is she not the most beautiful little girl?

Daddy and Eli playin' some football!

My handsome young man... growin' up too fast!

My lil' Zach-a-boo. I Love this boy!


Mommy and her three babies!

We had some precious friends come with us for a night... they desperately needed to get away... and we gladly had them stay with us. They are dear to us, and we are loving getting to know them better and better... Caitlin and Jeremy. Our children love them to pieces, they are part of our family now! The adults were able to get some quality time in together as we worked on a 500 piece puzzle. It was a blast, we learned things about each other that will only ever stay between each other!!! :) we laughed, talked about serious stuff, and just lived life along side one another for a night... truly a blessing.

Lilly bummin' a ride off of Jeremy!

Caitlin, Jeremy, Maya and Charlie

Jeremy, taking a swig of the Mountain Fresh Water!


We did have a chance to go hiking both with Caitlin and Jeremy, and alone with our family. That was a blast as well! The kids did a great job listening, walking, and exploring all the leaves, snow and rocks. When we were with Caitlin and Jeremy, we walked for quit a while, along side a stream. It was beautiful to say the least! Just to hear the rushing waters as they danced over the rocks and fell to the edges below... God's majesty surrounded us. To think the Lord created so we could enjoy such wonder... Lilly said "mom, God made this mountain for us." My response was yes, Lilly he did...

...how selfish to think that!

My Great husband reminded us... "do you know what Lilly? God made this for Himself!"... WOW! I forget this all too often. It's not about us, not about what he has done for us... it is about who He is and How creation shouts His name, and reflects His glory... All this is to bring God the Glory. (yes, he wants us to enjoy what He has made... but we often think He made it for us, when in reality if was all for Himself). So thank you Honey for reminding us that this is not our world... but the Lord's ... created for Him, and by Him.

Only could you find such a view as in the mountains. Everything seems clearer up there, everything seems closer to heaven, everything seems to be more the way it should be.


Crisp, Fresh, Untouched, bountiful.



This was Triple Falls... the kids loved it!
Scott and I had hiked this one when I was incredibly prego with Lilly.
We didn't realize it until we started up the trail.


Beauty in the midst of winter frost!
A reminder of the Lord's steadfast love for us... even when we grow cold sometimes.


Once the kids were not wanting to walk by themselves anymore, we were done with the hiking and ready to go home. We had nothing to rush back to , so we took our time and found Justus Orchard. This was a place in Brevard, a gem of a place. The people were amazing, friendly, helpful, incredibly kind and just joyful. We picked our own apples (and we don't have pictures because my camera had died by then), the kids went wild. Eli was our climber and got the big, fat and juicy apples from the tree tops... Lilly and Zach were our bottom feeders! Smiles went from ear to ear... laughter filled the air... and apple sweetness filled our mouths and bellies! This is another thing we will be doing every year... a new tradition for the Tennyson Family!

God was all over this weekend...
it was sweet, enjoyable, joyful, and fun family bonding!

1 comments:

Shak Family said...

Oh it sounds like you had such a WONDERFUL time.