Psalm 73: 27-28


My flesh and my heart may fail,
but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. …
But for me it is good to be near God;
I have made the Lord GOD my refuge,
that I may tell of all your works.

Thursday, February 11, 2010

It's my mess

Tonight we had a great crock pot meal... (thanks to my hubby for putting it together since I was working all day)... and part of that meal was rice.

I know, all of you moms out there (and dads too)... hate it when you have to sweep up rice from the floor.

It's incredibly sticky and just .... HHMMM.... "a mess".

When I think about the word mess, so many different things come to my mind
  1. my room.
  2. my living room.
  3. my makeup case.
  4. my purse.
  5. my car.
  6. many areas in my life.
  7. my thoughts.
  8. my actions.
  9. my words.
  10. ME.
  11. my parenting skills.
  12. my wifery(is that a word, or did I just make that up?) skills.
  13. my keeping in touch with people I love.
  14. did I mention ME?
(I did fourteen for "V" day)
How many times do you and I make a mess out of things?
I can speak for myself and say... pretty much every day!

There could have been so many disagreements left alone had I not made a mess of things by inserting my foot in my mouth. With many different people... my husband, my sisters, my mom and dad, my children, my grandmother, my aunts and uncles, my friends. Just about everyone in my life.

I have another question to ask ( not just of you but myself too)...

When was the last time you/I took on full responsibility of your/my mess?

So what so-and-so said that.... So what so-and-so did that... So what so-and-so hurt me... What did I do to evoke that from so-and-so? Was it my fault? Was it my doing? Should I be the one to apologize?

Yes, the answer to that last question is YES.

If there is something weighing on your mind, if there is someone weighing on your heart, if there is a situation that needs reconciliation... then DO IT!

Be the bigger person... own up to the mess that you have made...

The really cool thing about doing that is the fact that a huge burden will be lifted... and you'll be walking around on your tippy toes, as if you were as light as a feather (add moment... I wish I was as light as a feather!)

Matt 11:28-30

"Come to me, all who are weary and are heavy-laden ,and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

So I challenge you (and myself) to take responsibility for the mess we have made... give it over to the Lord, and allow HIM to deal with it.

From the mouths of babes...

"mommy, this is my mess."


she took responsibility for the rice that she spilled while bringing her plate to the garbage, picked up the broom and proceeded to clean up her mess... and no we did not prompt her to do this!

2 comments:

sarah said...

thanks. thats great to hear! God is using you in many ways!
and it makes me laugh to see how big and curly her hair is in this picture, and then how long and straight it is in the other pictures. She looks so much older w/ straight hair.
love you.
give those kids big kisses from me.

Tracy said...

It's funny how the words that children speak have their own little way of bringing things into perspective doesn't it? ;o}

What a big girl!