Psalm 73: 27-28


My flesh and my heart may fail,
but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. …
But for me it is good to be near God;
I have made the Lord GOD my refuge,
that I may tell of all your works.

Monday, July 12, 2010

Sewing

Over the past few days I have had more sewing lessons. My mother in law has done an amazing job with me, trying to teach me how to make dresses out of fabric, thread, elastic, scissors and such.

I love trying new things, I am just a perfectionist, so when I try new things I want to have them down pat 1. 2. 3.

Sewing isn't that easy, at least at first it isn't. I will try anything once... some things twice... and few things three times.

I have now tried sewing more than three times. This week alone... it has been numerous time with my dear, sweet and patient sister Sarah. I have seen her pieces of her sewing artwork and they are beautiful. Since I have her here for 3 weeks I thought it would be great sister time to share with her sewing.

I was right it has been great sister time! We have laughed, reminisced, talked about children, husbands, parenting, all things big and small. I love her dearly, and love the time I get to share with her (though it's short when she is here). Words can't express enough how much I want her here with our family in Charlotte. That is one for the Lord to work on... not me because I would have never had her leave in the first place.


Sweet sewing... wow, that is an oxymoron in my book! I have had a time and a half ( to say it nicely) with the sewing machine the last few days. Somehow I get the threads all mixed up... they bunch up under the material... and gets all whoppy-jaw! I am trying, I am trying really hard. I didn't give up... even though we took a dress apart three times one evening... and one more time this afternoon... the same dress mind you. When it happened again today, Sarah and I couldn't stop laughing, and I almost peed my pants! We finally came to the conclusion it was the thread itself.. changed it up ... and it worked perfectly! That is the machine... my lines were off... A LOT! Sarah had to undo some stuff that I messed up on ... but it has been a learning experience non the less.

Sewing... takes time; patience; stamina; good thread; a person that knows what they are doing; and Jesus ( at least for me, because without HIM today... I would have been a basket case (although I was close enough to one) I would have said words that I wouldn't be able to take back, and given up).



You see it was Jesus that kept me going... He kept me pursuing the end result of a finished product. He kept me anticipating the release of the sewing machine and needle, in order to cut the thread and be done. It happened... took a LONG time... but it happened.

It reminds me of our stubbornness sometimes. We easily allow for ourselves to get in the way of what the Lord is trying to do in our lives. We allow for a quick fix, a short cut here and there, to get the best of us... when the Lord just wants to give us the finished product that is perfect, without a wavy line, a product that all would look at and say this is the work of the Lord.

Why do we allow ourselves to get all bound up, like the thread under the material, with things of this world, desires, wants, and stuff that isn't of the Lord's will ? Why do we try shortcuts, when we know good and well we will more than likely get lost? Why don't we just give it up to the Lord and allow Him to guide our hands? Why don't we allow the Lord to work out HIS pattern, the pattern that is perfect for us? Instead we try to use our hands to guide His hands, we try to show Him the way we want, which ultimately ends up all whoppy-jaw.

Lord I surrender to your Will... your good, pleasing, and perfect will. I will take my hands off and allow your hands to guide me in your perfect way. Thank you for showing me this today. Thank you for your lesson in patience, for your lesson in giving thanks despite all the mistakes made.


holy experience

#181- 206

my sister
sewing
thread
needles
her patience
material
elastic
machines that work
her laughter
our stories together
our history as sisters
our friendship
her laughter
lessons learned
light to help guide the way
scissors that cut the thread
an ironing board
a hot iron
her guidance as I was sewing
my husbands willingness to let me go and do
his love for me shown through his eyes
his unspoken words
sweet life
Nate's life
calming words
soothing music

1 comments:

Jeanie said...

Love this! I too am a perfectionist and have the same issues with sewing. I am going to try this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtuGUB-jsH8, and thishttp://sewchic.blogspot.com/2009/09/how-to-make-cute-burpcloths.html , along with some baby blankets, and cribs sheets(the latter 2 I have made before)