Psalm 73: 27-28


My flesh and my heart may fail,
but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. …
But for me it is good to be near God;
I have made the Lord GOD my refuge,
that I may tell of all your works.

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Who do you see?

When you are going about your day... running your weekly errands... who do you see? Do you just fly in and out of whatever store you are going to, or do you take time to notice people? Do you notice the person who is not dressed so nicely, whose hair is all disheveled, who is walking a little hunched over? Or, do you walk right by that person, not looking them in the eyes, not touching them with a warm smile that says Jesus Loves you, you are special?
I have to admit, I am usually the person who doesn't make eye contact.
This past Sunday, pastor Derwin brought the house down, and touched on do you love the unlovely? Do you reach out to those who are really in need, or do you just say that you do or you will... and you never get around to it? How will others know we are Christians???
By our LOVE.
1 Corinthians 16: 14 "Do everything in love."
Rom 13:9b-10a "Love your neighbor as yourself.' Love does no harm to its neighbor."
John 13:34-35 "A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love on another."
James 2:1 & 8 "My bother, as believers in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ, don't show favoritism. If you really keep the royal law found in Scripture, 'Love your neighbor as yourslef,' you are doing right."
Why is it so hard for us to love those who are different? Why is it so hard for us to connect with people?
When we are children it is so easy... you make friends so easily, and there is no discrimination.
Why do we discriminate as adults? Why is it we are so uncomfortable with those that are different than we are?
I don't know when we learned to judge others... but we need to STOP it! I am saying this to myself because I so easily walk around with my head tilted down in order to not look people in the eye. I was so convicted by what pastor had to say this last Sunday, and have taken that to heart. I want to opportunity to love those that are less fortunate than me... not just when I am ready, or when I am in a good mood, or when I go on a trip specifically to do just that... but when the Lord places that person in my path... whether I am in a good mood or a bad one... whether the kids are being cooperative or not... whether I have the time or not... I want to LOVE as Christ has loved you and me. I want to LOVE without hindrance, without boundaries, without other intentions... I want to LOVE.
Well what do I go and do with my conviction??? I go home and I start to have a conversation with the Lord about being a person who loves more... and a person who makes it a point to look people in the eye when I am out and LOVE that person.
I am sure you have heard of the saying... "Be careful what you pray for, it just might happen."
Well it did, and let me tell you something. I must confess this ... I was not ready for it... I wasn't in the mood, I was in a rush, I had a thousand different things I needed to do, not to mention to children that are toddlers...
GOD answered my prayer... He brought someone into my path for me to LOVE on. It was one of the hardest things that I have done. My flesh was wanting to say, how do you really know that person has twins as home, how do you know that persons husband is really in the hospital, they are driving a car and had the money to put gas in it... why can't they buy a simple gallon of milk and a tub of butter? I quickly had to take those thoughts captive and I had to give them over to the Lord. I had to look at this woman and LOVE her as the Lord would LOVE her. That was so hard to do... I told the lady I would meet her at the front of the store after she brought her milk and butter to me. (I really didn't have a lot of time because I had a client that would be at my house in under a half an hour... so I was a little bit rushed) As she went on her way and I went on mine I called Scott and asked him to pray for me... I really didn't want to do this, but I knew that I had to because the Lord has provided for me in so many different ways, so I asked him to pray that my attitude about buying her some essentials would change. As I was getting my own things, the Lord impressed it on my heart that she is HIS creation... that He loves Sarah just as much as He loves me and my children... that Sarah was also fearfully and wonderfully made. Wow... I started to tear up (Gram, I am becoming a crier just like you and mom... I don't know how I feel about that either) and then took the opportunity to LOVE Sarah.
Please hear me when I say this, I am not writing this to get a "good job" or anything like that ... I am writing this because the Lord is really moving in my life and I want to share it with you because I don't want to forget what God is speaking so loudly into my life.
read through Matthew 25 this afternoon... and meditate on what the Lord is saying.
vs. 40 "The King will reply, ' I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.' "
When you are out and about....
Who do you see?
1 John 3:18
"Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth."
Dear Lord, may it be our prayer today and every day to LOVE each other... not with words... but LOVE each other through out actions.
~Amen~

0 comments: