Ok, so I am making dinner tonight and Scott comes running into the house "Christy you've gotta come out here and see this... we have a snake behind the shop eating a rabbit!"
"No way... Sweet!" is what I said.
It was like having our own animal planet show in our backyard... except we didn't have Steve Erwin with his cool Australian accent saying "Crickey, that one is a beaut! Look at her, she is so gawgeous!"
Eli was lovin' it, and he was such a good big brother. Let me explain, right now Lilly has no fear of anything... so she wants to walk right up to the snake and probably pick it up to hug it... when she started walking towards it Eli says "Lil, no maam. Don't get too close, it can hurt you." meanwhile gently pulling her back to lean against his legs, with his arms wrapped around her.
I have to say that was one of the highlights of our day today... we all enjoyed watching the snake. Seeing this thing eat a rabbit right in front of you... live, was absolutely amazing. Not in a gruesome way... I still can't believe the snake fit the rabbit inside of it's mouth and body. I know all the facts of how a snake actually is able to separate it jaw and all... but it was still amazing. And for all of you who are thinking oh, my, word... it was only a rat snake... they are harmless to humans.
Now mind you, this is behind our shed... the snake probably lives in our wood pile... so Gabby, girl make sure that you don't let the kids near the wood pile... and make sure that Bobby is wearing gloves when getting the wood this winter!
This year we are turning over the compost pile we made back behind the shed in order to get it ready for planting my garden in the spring. I will be taking that adventure along with my two sisters... our own gardens! We shall see what we get ! I hope that I end up more along the lines of Sarah's garden and not Jen's! Hahaha! Jen, I am sure you will have better luck next year...!
So hopefully next year with a garden... I won't be running across any more of these snakes... although I would rather the black snake than a copperhead!

1 comments:
OK...THAT WAS GROSS...IT ATE A WHOLE RABBIT...POOR THUMPER :-(
Post a Comment